Wednesday, June 12, 2013

SharePoint 2013, Search Stopped Working After Modifying NodeRunner Settings

Recently when working on my development SharePoint 2013 server, I started seeing various search error messages.  They were all over the place and included:
  • In Central Administration on the Search Administration page: "Unable to retrieve topology component health states. This may be because the admin component is not up and running".
  • In the ULS logs: "All query processing components are in 'failed' status".
  • On Search pages: "Something went wrong".
  • Etc, etc.
So off to the internets I went looking for answers.  There are a lot of posts about these issues and none of which solved my problem.  Then by chance I landed on a great post by Leon Zandman which clued me in on what was happening in my environment.

I had tweaked the memory limit for the NodeRunner.exe process.  I did this because this was my development environment and at the time I had no need for search for I wanted to increase performance as much as possible.  However, I had forgotten about this and thus my problems began.

In the NodeRunner configuration file (located at: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers\15.0\Search\Runtime\1.0\NodeRunner.exe.config) there is a property called 'memoryLimitMegabytes' which you can use to control how much memory the processes can consume.  I had reduced this number (changed it from 0, since 0 is unlimited) to 100MB.  This turned out to be way too low and caused all my search components to fail.

If you have not modified your NodeRunner configuration file, you should check this post for some guidance on hotfixes: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointitpropreview/thread/50acc2b8-dd56-4d5a-a660-dffa325ef807/

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Howdy! I simply wish to give you a big thumbs up for the excellent info you’ve got here on this post. I am coming back to your site for more soon. - See more at:http://www.sqiar.com/

    ReplyDelete